Product Chat / Making Custom Terrain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2013 22:24 Edited at: 19th Dec 2013 20:44
This post is me and others(hopefully) So far from what I understand about Custom Terrain. I do also mention what each texture is for further understanding. However if you are looking for a video tutorial the only one can be found here

BTW ALL INFORMATION IS FOR VERSION "beta 01.003"

File Structure

The terrain folder is located in FPSC Reloaded ...........\Files\terrainbank

In the folder contains (what I like to call) different environments(folders in the location).

There are 3 default environments(desert, ice, lush). You can edit these environments and add more in by making a new folder. In that folder there must be 10 DDS files to not break the Engine.(Look at "Files" for more)

In editor

To change the environment in the editor you must run a test and press tab 2 times. then there is button right next to "terrain type" which you can click to select a new environment.(Yes I know the Engine calls it terrain/ type, but I think environment makes more sense)

Files

In any environment there is ten DDS files. To change the terrain texture you must modify these files. In the default environment there is png files.(but I don't understand these and you do not need them to work)

WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE/NOT INCLUDE ANY DDS FILE IN THE FOLDER OR IT WILL BREAK THE ENGINE.

FYI: there is no point in adding in anymore DDS FILES as the engine will just ignore them

Names for files and what they do: [NOT FINISHED]

From My understanding, the different textures have to do with different gradients.

(when I right the number it means + and - degrees)

Default_D This is the diffuse texture for a gradient of 5 and less(which makes it the most used) also it forms the 2nd ring of the rocky paint.

Default_N This is the Normal texture the above texture

Mossy_D This is the diffuse texture for a gradient of 5 to 10

Mossy_N This is the Normal texture the above texture

Path_D This is the diffuse texture for a gradient of 10 to 15(max)

Path_N This is the Normal texture the above texture

Rocky_D This is the diffuse texture for a gradient of 15 and above(making it form on high steep hills) as well as the most inner ring of the rocky paint.

Rocky_N This is the Normal texture the above texture

Sedimentary_D This is the diffuse texture only used for the rock paint and forms the small outer ring.

Sedimentary_N This is the Normal texture the above texture

Please do note that each of these numbers are approximate and do not reflect true values. Also from what I have seen each layer does try to blend in with others.

Please tell me if I am missing something or if there is something you want to know that is not already on here.

RAM 8 GB

i7-4770k CPU 3.50 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PM
mfgcasa
Years of Service
User Offline
I just thought I would let you know i have updated it !!

RAM 8 GB

i7-4770k CPU 3.50 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 08:11:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 08:11:28