Product Chat / How do we create a space scene and...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2013 01:18
How do we create a space scene where we can teleport back and forth to land - or create one level with landscape and one in space and teleport back and forth.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2013 02:51 Edited at: 16th Dec 2013 03:01
You could use a space skybox (I am currently creating a couple of these right now) and texture the terrain with stars for space scene, or even completely transparent so the bottom of the skybox is seen. I am not sure at this stage about terrain using transparency for texture though, still, it could work and since I am in the space mood will look into it and see if there is a workaround

It might even be possible to texture the terrain black and use a large plane over it for starfields or nebula's, all the same for performance reasons it would be good to be able to remove terrain/water completely

You wont be doing any teleporting of any kind right now either since there are no commands/actions functional in the engine right now Still, you could make a start (if you have the assets) on prototyping your levels.

This is all dependent on you placing your ship/station way above terrain level, if you plan to have it indoors then careful placement of windows etc would mean not having to do any of the above, I hope your models are collision ready too otherwise you got your work cut out for you so early in Beta without much in the way of ready made assets.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I imagine teleporting is possible as such, the run to the river level uses a zone to zap you back to the start. But obviously from a landscape to a space scene would be difficult at the moment. I imagine until room sections are put in the terrain can't really be disabled yet. You could do something similar to what Rolfy suggested, or create a huge contained area that is textured with space stuff. I did a video showing an interior scene I made with a few objects I made in Blender. You could probably do something on a grander scale for a space scene, and if it is a teleport in the river demo, and not a basic restart, you could hop from space scene to the terrain. You would of course have to hide the huge space box somehow in the world scene. Not just a matter of a few cover trees there I imagine

mfgcasa
Years of Service
User Offline
In the final game the best way would be to create two different levels, however right now its not possible, but you can prepare a level to do so by building the terrain and then placing in a massive holo sphere and a ship inside. The Sphere will be textured space.

To hide the ship place it behind huge mountains and have a high fog.(this will also make the land more interesting)

NOTE: as of right now ships can not fly so aslong as your sphere does not clip through the ship it will be fine.

I liked the avatar because she wants to eat you!!!
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 21:53
I find the ICE theme for terrain and the MOONCLOUD skybox make a great alien landscape when you tweak the ambient and surface colors to match We had teleporters in Classic and they where lots of fun so we will be having them in Reloaded too. To be honest, I am itching to add this little five minute features but my professional side (and an army of community members) will not let me leave performance and stability work right now.

For your idea, you could suspend the spaceship as a static entity higher up away from the terrain (sort of hovering in low orbit), and create your spaceship innards there. I will be extending support for editing and placing entities inside buildings and other large imported structures so watch this space once performance is in the bag.

Hogging the awesome since 1999

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 21:21:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 21:21:43