Product Chat / Models dis/reappearing as the player turns

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2013 01:12 Edited at: 16th Dec 2013 02:22
I've noticed when the player turns to the left or right, you can see the models disappearing and reappearing at the corners of the screen. Is this an issue with FPSC or with the way the models are being created? If it's an issue with the models, what can we do to prevent this.

I've noticed this happening on the demo games, too.
PM
unbound
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2013 02:57
It's an occlusion problem with it updating a bit slowly or something, it should be fixed in a later beta.

There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
As unbound says it is normal at the moment and is a bug in the occlusion system. I did a video showing this, but the problem grates mostly when the objects refuse to come back. Which is rather more annoying. Still, I am really hoping quads are implemented before the 20th update, as the pop up in the distance is also annoying at the moment as it a fairly low draw threshold without the quads implemented.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 21:33
I have mostly solved this in BETA 1.004 but I am not happy with the solution, which depends on some level of 'just about to go outside' technique. The proper way is to render the scene 'very VERY quickly' in the CPU, just before the GPU gets to render it's REAL geometry to the screen. I avoided this for the simple logic that adding MORE rendering and on the CPU at that would hardly grant me extra performance if there was nothing to occlude. That said, this popping (which some engines are happy to leave in) is hounding me and just when I thought I could live and let live, I still see a POP. I know about the multi-core approach Intel advocates to solve this, and they do it very well, even on DirectX 9, but I am curious if anyone has any links on an alternative technique to rendering on the CPU to get this 'predictive information' on what should be rendered before I go to the trouble of rendering it. Links welcome!

Hogging the awesome since 1999

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-10 07:20:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-10 07:20:35