Product Chat / How do I import my own meshes?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
and what format must it be in?
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2013 12:54
For static models I just put them in a folder within the entitybank folder.

You'll need at least three things at the moment:

1. a model in X file format, e.g. "myHouse.x"

2. a single texture file, e.g. "myHouse_D.dds"

3. an fpe file, e.g. "myHouse.fpe".

(While other possibilities might work, the above should be enough to get you started.)

Ideally you should also have a thumbnail image for your object, e.g. "myHouse.bmp" - just create an image similar to one of the existing ones. However, you don't need this image for things to work - it does make your media look more professional though.

The safest model vertex format at the moment has just XYZ position, NORMALS and one set of texture coordinates. Other formats might work but nothing is settled yet.

Your fpe file should be similar to the ones used for the stock entities, just copy one, then make the obvious changes to the file name and the relevant references inside the file.

Powered by Free Banners
Sgreco
Years of Service
User Offline
.X? I have never heard of this format. I can make .objs and various other formats -is there a converter out there? And what is .dds? I mainly texture with photoshop and dont see this extension.
PM
Thurnok
Years of Service
User Offline
Should be pretty well known for Windows OS users.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.dds

There are various tools out there that do conversions, and many 3D graphics software export to one or another by default. Maya, Blender, 3DS Max, etc.

I think Wings 3D and/or Meshlab do those types of conversions, but I'm not positive as I don't use them. Blender can open .OBJ and export it to .X format.
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2013 19:44
Quote: "And what is .dds?"

It's the native DirectX image format. You can use .png or .jpg files instead if you like.

Powered by Free Banners
Sgreco
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, thanks guys. I use Hexagon mainly because I find the interface so easy to use, but I do also have lightwave. I'll see if it exports to X.

Once again, my learning curve increases but its a labor of love.
PM
Sgreco
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm dont see it on LW either. I can do FBX -is that the same?
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2013 21:24
Blender is free and can export to .x format.

Download the correct plugin.

Or milkshape.

Gr
PM
Tingalls
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 16:40
TrueSpace 7.61 is also free and it imports and exports .x format

no plugin needed
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure if this will help,or even work, as I don't use lightwave. But there is a x file exporter on the lightwave website.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/directx-export/

It may be worth a try.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, I was going to say Lightwave has a .x plugin, but been beaten to it! I use Blender now, I'm useless with it, but can't afford Lightwave or 3DS max now If you can get around the interface of Blender it is amazingly powerful for a free program!

TexMan
Years of Service
User Offline
I DO have a brief question here -- I got my model into FPSC, things work swell, collision is ok (it's a basic box model, with a texture on it, nothing too major ), BUT, the size is wrong. I've tried messing with the FPE file, scaling the model bigger in my modeller then re-exporting it, nothing seems to work. I'm totally stumped. It DOES get in there ok, but the 'building' looks like the size of a stone (and I'm not making a godzilla game here fyi). Does anyone have any work arounds? Oh, I've also tried deleting the bin and dbo file, but that doesn't seem to do any. Thanks.
TexMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, forgot to mention, the model IS in x format, and the texture map is dds format, but that is probably not linked to the problem. The answer seems like one of those things where it's right under my nose.
TexMan
Years of Service
User Offline
UPDATE: Oh, now I got it to work, thanks anyways, sorry if I wasted anyone's time. On another note....I have no idea 'how' I got it to work. K, well, at least it works. lol
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 23:05
In BETA 1.004 there is a new DOCS folder in the root installation which contains a document lovingly prepared for you which goes through the whole chain on how to create entities for Reloaded.

Hogging the awesome since 1999

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 22:19:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 22:19:34