Product Chat / Problem with textures in FPSC-R 1.003

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When I load custom objects into the editor, they are fully textured, but when I test the they are white. These are the same models I was using in the previous betas. Any ideas?
PM
nelsonaddison
Years of Service
User Offline
More clues: This is only happening with models that have multiple textures. It appears to be covering the entire model with last texture listed in the fpe file. For example, a model called Garage.x:

The Garage.fpe file looks like this:

===============================================================

;header

desc = Garage

;visualinfo

textured = Garage.xScreenGray.jpg

textured = Garage.xwhite.jpg

textured = Garage.xCladding_Siding_Tan.jpg

textured = Garage.xConcrete_Block_8x8_Gray.jpg

textured = Garage.xDarkGreen.jpg

textured = Garage.xDarkRed.jpg

textured = Garage.xRoofing_Shingles_Asphalt.jpg

effect = effectbank\reloaded\entity_basic.fx

castshadow = 0

;orientation

model = Garage.x

offx = 0

offy = 0

offz = 0

rotx = 0

roty = 0

rotz = 0

defaultstatic = 1

materialindex = 3

collisionmode = 0

;statistics

strength = 25

explodable = 0

debrisshape = 1

;ai

aiinit = appear1.fpi

aimain = default.fpi

aidestroy = disappear1.fpi

;spawn

spawnmax = 0

spawndelay = 0

spawnqty = 0

===================================================

The model looks good when I bring it into the editor. All of the textures are correct. When I test the game, the garage is textured fully in asphalt shingles.

NOTE: I know that my texture names are odd, but this is how my .x exporter names them. These were working fine in 1.002 and they are loading okay in the editor.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 00:50 Edited at: 7th Dec 2013 00:50
Use one single 'textured =' line and leave it blank, I know this is definitely still working for dynamic objects, never did work for static, so if its a building you want to enter your going to have problems with multi-texturing.
nelsonaddison
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't understand. Why does it load correctly in the editor, but not in test? Why was it working this way in 1.002, but not in 1.003?
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Just ran a test in both beta's, looks like beta 2 did facilitate multi textures for static entity's. Beta 3 does not

It still works if texture field is left empty and the object is dynamic. Pity since multi texturing static entity's was something badly needed in Classic.
nelsonaddison
Years of Service
User Offline
I consider this a problem. Multi-texturing makes modelling much easier. Do you think it will be re-implemented in later versions?
PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 08:56
email Lee about Multi-texturing for static objects maybe he can fix it for the next beta. I to want this so bad. this is one of the biggest limits I hate about fpsc.I was always in hope this could change in reload.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
thorus22
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "email Lee about Multi-texturing for static objects maybe he can fix it for the next beta. I to want this so bad. this is one of the biggest limits I hate about fpsc.I was always in hope this could change in reload."
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 12:42
Lee might be intentionally leaving out multi texture support for static entities.

In a typical FPSC map there will be significantly more static objects than dynamic and its really expensive to support multiple textures for all of that because of all the additional draw calls to the GPU.

This is one of those areas where you actually need to develop your work flow to UV map models so you can benefit from the optimisation of using 1 texture (3 if you are using normal and specular maps etc).

I don't really think this is an engine problem. Its a perceived bug which is actually there for a good reason.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 21:04
Multi-textured models and material-based models are both performance hogs in games engines. At the lowest pipeline level, a games engine would not intentionally switch between multiple textures to render a single object as it would be a huge stall for the GPU. I may be able to support a one-texture-per-limb approach in Reloaded if someone sends me an appropriate model file and textures to lee@thegamecreators.com but the work spent on this will depend on how much it benefits the overall community. For example, multi-textured models OR more performance, it's a fight that is ongoing, and performance usually wins right now

Hogging the awesome since 1999
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 21:56
I think the option to use multi-textured models should be up to the user,a lot of people can make models but are not expert at uv .Remember reloaded is for the expert and the novice,enjoying walking around there own models is a great buz .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 23:32
Send me a model to lee@thegamecreators.com and I will see if I can pick up the challenge (or delegate it)

Hogging the awesome since 1999

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-10 22:20:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-10 22:20:15