3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Partial Transparency Mapping - Anyway to Accomplish?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2013 05:32
I made 3 different versions of a texture map. Each version had sections with walls completely opaque mixed with smaller sections of windows which I gave transparencies to. One was 40% transparency, another 50% and the last 60%. The colors showed up fine in the 2 smaller percentages but no shadowy semi transparency at all - simply solid. The 60% model had it's transparency section completely invisible. I don't want to make the entire model transparent - just the polys that I textured with a transparency - and even then, I only want those sections to be partially transparent. I saved them as a .png and converted them to .dds. Any ideas? Should I try 51% or 52% or will this just make it invisible as it did at 60%? I'm thinking there is probably some code in the model needed, am I right?

All you need is love....so let me have your burger.
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you doing the transparency by means of Alpha channel? Not sure if this is how its done in FPSCR, but might be worth trying.
PM
pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2013 12:02
Well, the problem is, I am not wanting FPSCR to render the entire model transparent, only a material group of it. I mapped the group as transparent in my paint program and it TrueSpace renders that specific section of the model as partially transparent (as it should), but FPSCR only seems to render my map in that same material group as 100% transparent in one version or completely opaque in the other 2 versions. maybe i need to try something other than .png before I convert to .dds? Maybe targa? This is really frustrating!

Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2013 06:53 Edited at: 5th Dec 2013 07:15
Okay so year, opened up the textures on a couple of FPSCR partial transparent objects, and they are done here the same as a lot of other game engines. Where you must change the Alpha Channel, making it half way between black and white colour will modify how transparent a surface is.

Here is the Alpha channel from the Plastic Red Crate which is default box type in FPSCR. Notice the white is 0% transparency, and the black is 100% transparency. If you modify it so you have the grey colour exactly half way between fully black and fully white, you'll get 50% transparency, then depending on RGB channel, it will appear a certain semi transparent colour.

I believe however, once the engine is further a long there will be materials you can enter, such as glass, but not sure how they work exactly, never gone more advanced then this before.

Update: Been trying this out, I can't get partial transparency, only complete. Not sure if I am exporting my .dds wrongly or if the engine just doesn't support it.
PM
pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2013 12:47
You are experiencing exactly the same anomaly as I have. I am confused as to the reason why partial transparencies would either be so difficult to accomplish or, as is suggested, is not available on this engine at this time. I know I can make a single model that can be totally transparent to some percentage - or totally opaque with FPSCR - but there seems to be no way to have maps on a single object that will make parts of the object partially transparent mixed with parts totally opaque. The reason this is confusing to me is because so many other programs have accomplished this technique years ago - am I hoping for too much? Honestly, I understand the program is in beta, but if this sort of programming is beyond the reach of it's developers, it almost seems to me that the future of FPSCR has a bleak potential for artists who wish to create a wide diversity of appealing objects - which in turn also limits the program for anything much more than what appears to be - a dated shoot-em-up game. Maybe the program's name is prophetic, I certainly hope not. On the other hand, if there is a way to sort out this problem, it would behoove the development team to expand on it's functionality through both it's code and some simple and easily available tutorials so that the artists who wish to advance it's development could truly present some examples of advanced presentations to the thousands and thousands of potential customers in the marketplace. The question is simple - do beta versions of FPSCR really need to be so deplete of common place graphic tools?

Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2013 13:33 Edited at: 5th Dec 2013 15:59
Partial transparency is always an awkward one because you need to have fine control over render order - i.e. the partially transparent objects need to be drawn after other things behind them, including other partially transparent objects. An all or nothing system is much easier to implement since you can render in the usual way and just use clipping to stop the transparent pixels being drawn (as used in the default entity shader I believe).

You might be able to work around this limitation by having a "cloudy" black and white alpha map so you get a mixture of fully opaque and fully transparent pixels. In some situations, e.g. dirty windows, that could be quite realistic anyway.

Edit The problem with what I've just said is that the clean bits of glass should reflect - and clipping doesn't allow that.

If you're interested in pursuing that idea I'll see if I can put together a simple demo object.

Powered by Free Banners
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2013 23:13
i am very interested.

I love to see a demo object..

Gr
PM
The Rev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2013 20:36
I tried a texture from a window in fps and then in reload in fps it worked great dirty glass you could see through in fps but in reload it was like looking through a fence no half way. I don't think reload is set up for it yet I think it was only for the fence example Could be wrong though
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 01:52
Quote: "i am very interested.

I love to see a demo object"

The attached modified version of the stock canvas tent is a simple example of what I had in mind - but it's not ideal, i.e. too "grainy" really.

The all or nothing issue is hard to get around - but might be OK in some situations though.

Powered by Free Banners
pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 16:50
Nice try GG - but, it is still basically a 0/100% opaque/transparent mixed rendering. I'm guessing that there is going to have to be serious modifications coded to FPSCR's rendering engine in order for the program to enable 3D artists to render glass and concrete in a single object properly. I can't imagine that the development team will sacrifice this essential means for semi-realistic environments (even low quality 3D games and worlds feature this common available asset) for any reason - it's not like low end GPU's haven't been able to handle recreating multitudes of optical variations for years now. Honestly, my confidence in the developers is still rock solid. I'm sure Lee Bamber and his associates won't find this challenge very daunting, they've all shown themselves to be amazing coders thus far. Thanks for your efforts, too, GG - I very appreciate your efforts to increase the program's potential.

Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 18:12
I'm sure you're right - and if I recall correctly you could have reflective glass panels in FPSC9 (or was it FPSC10?) which would have used alpha blending.

The problem tends to be with a scene which has several semi transparent objects lined up behind each other - if the render order is wrong you can get very weird results from certain angles.

I guess it's one of those things that low on Lee's list of priorities at the moment.

Powered by Free Banners
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 20:18
Hi guys,this is a texture taken from FPS creator.So they will work,its just a matter of trying to work it out .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 01:25
Are any of those semi-transparent? They look all or none to me.

Powered by Free Banners
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 01:33
Quote: "They look all or none to me"

Your right,thats the part i'me trying to work out.

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 07:47
Nice try, Dave. Still it comes down to 100% opacity with 100% transparency as the best this engine seems to be able to accomplish in it's rendering faculties. On the other hand, the program very nicely renders it's water both transparent and reflective - I'm guessing this is due to the water_basic.fx coding applied to it. Looking at the code in Notepad, one can see it is intended for specific optical manipulation, the author Evolved titling it "Reflective/Refractive". I wouldn't know where to begin to edit the code to make it useful for the creation of varied partial transparencies on an object or if it is even possible to do so, for that matter. Furthermore, in depth study of the code language to achieve this end would really defeat one of the main ideals of this software - to be able to make games without extensive coding abilities. But I admit, it is driving me nuts and my curiosity won't seem to let this issue rest. And I'm guessing that there is not a model maker out there who can rest once they discover they cannot map realistic windows on their buildings and vehicles... at least not the ones who care for convincing realism in their creations.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 08:21 Edited at: 8th Dec 2013 08:24
I wouldn't sweat it so much, semi transparency is still be introduced into the code obviously and you can guarantee it wont be left out. No point in trying to shoehorn it in yourself as it will be in there at some point.

Quote: "The problem tends to be with a scene which has several semi transparent objects lined up behind each other - if the render order is wrong you can get very weird results from certain angles."

Setting transparency to '2' would solve culling issues
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 10:55 Edited at: 8th Dec 2013 10:56
Quote: "Setting transparency to '2' would solve culling issues"

Not sure what you mean by that. Mode 2 merely says "2 and 3 - draw second which overlaps solid geometry" - from the DBPro Help file (assuming that's what you meant ). That's fine if you only have one transparent object with a fairly simple geometry but not if you have lots. You still need the transparent objects to be rendered in the correct order from back to front. The engine would need to sort that out.

Have a look at the screenshots below - especially the tree in the centre of the scene. Part of the trunk is missing when you use mode 2 presumably because the leaf plane in front of it was rendered first by accident. It might be possible to avoid that by applying the modes to the limbs rather than to the whole tree object - but you can still have leaf limbs near to the camera rendered before more distant leaf planes where the same problem arises.

Perhaps there's another way round this?