Product Chat / new beta performance issues

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
so, I downloaded the new beta yesterday and was mildly surprised by the performance work that tripled my fps rate. then I added a single patch of grass and a small moat and was sadly running at 4fps again with a lot of nothing in the way of added entities. funny thing is I was getting 14fps with nothing that soon dropped to 4fps with the 1 patch of grass and water.

this performance work for me seems to go backwards very fast now, as before the first beta update I was getting a solid 5fps with lots of entities now it seems just adding very small amounts of grass sends me back to below the 5fps I was previously enjoying.

is this just me or is it effecting others to in the same way?, because it seems to me it was more reliable before the new beta's patches.

by which I mean I could have a whole town with lots of added items and not effect my fps, and now I cant add hardly anything before it drops to below the 5fps rate

I know I need a new graphics card for this tbh, but just seems it was better for my machine before all the performance patches came out oddly.

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 13:59
My experience is rather similar to yours. I'm not yet getting the hoped for dramatic improvement.

Although I've yet to test it on a new map of my own (I foolishly forgot to move my old maps out of the way before uninstalling beta2 ).

On the plus side the animations look better - enemy entities now look at me when shooting. Still not quite right though - see separate bug report later.

Powered by Free Banners
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 20:38
I think you will like BETA 1.004 which has almost entirely been performance related work. I would be surprised if you saw no improvement.

Hogging the awesome since 1999
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
well lee, im sorry to bring bad news m8... but on testing this beta 4 its gone alittle backwards again so maybe its just my machine and me lol.. not knowing much of anything computer wise or anything much else for that matter lol im often confused.

so last patch I was getting about 14fps now im getting about 10fps on blank maps, wheni looked at the sky on beta 3 I jumped to a massive 130fps now when I do the same I get around 25-30fps.

im going to uninstall everything and reinstall it all, and change the monitor port im using and see what happens maybe god willing it helps lol

anyways lee have a great Christmas rest and drink up and have a happy new year

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, well a few interesting things happened to me while playing about with it...

1stly the standard port for my comp don't display anything, only the gpu port seems to work lol which confuses me.

so I switched back to my gpu port for the monitor and got visuals back then I uninstalled and reinstalled fpsc reloaded but disabled the gpu in some settings.

got a blank black screen in the editor but when testing the flat map was only getting 1fps so enabled my gpu again, now I seem to get on a flat map or a random map about 25-35fps so yes a marked improvement at least double that of beta 3, nice work lee m8 but no idea how long it will stay at that level of fps so will do some testing and see whats what now.

I will say this though, I didn't uninstall beta3 from my machine and just over laid the beta 4 download on top. so maybe some others are doing the same thing and not seeing much difference to?? from now on I will uninstall each beta and add the new ones to my machine from scratch...

have fun stay safe

hood
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 23:35
I usually select the UNINSTALL from the Start Menu options and it's much faster and nicer than say InstallShield or MSI installers. Your system sounds pretty crazy (in a nice way), as I mostly just leave my graphics card and monitor alone once set up. I am guessing you either have two cards, or an integrated motherboard graphics port, and are moving the VGA cable from one to the other. Remind me again what the dedicated graphics 'card' model is? Thanks.

Hogging the awesome since 1999
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 01:23
We're getting there. I had about 3 times the speed of the last release on both full and reduced mode using the Get to the River level. In full mode I was getting 18 FPS and better, which isn't great, but it was smooth and very playable - and a lot better than the 5-6 FPS I was getting. I was actually able to sight down on the AI and hit them while they were moving, which was impossible before.

Weapons and objects looked good and stayed in place much better than the last beta. The only obvious issue I found was with the vegitation. It seemed like my GPU was playing catch-up, if you know what I mean. It didn't fade in and out while turning about like before. It was more like I would walk into an area and it would take a few seconds for the grass to get there. Once it came in, it stayed.

All in all, a much better experience. Still I know that the level is not intensive, especially given the size of the playing field available, so I hope that the work will continue in the area of performance. I'm also happy to see more configurable graphics options and I hope to also see more world options later, like size, water on/off, etc.

Keep it up. I'm not as worried as I was.

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
almightyhood
Years of Service
User Offline
my graphics card is a radeon hd 6450, not very good at all wot...

have fun stay safe

hood
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-10 16:56:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-10 16:56:53