Product Chat / Object Manipulation, Flight and Basic Animation Scripting - Will FPSCR Find Potential for the Video Artist?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 00:00
A few years back I was deeply involved in 3D World chat. There was a number of these sites on the internet at the time - Activeworlds, Outerworlds and Spiral Matrix just to name a few. They offered "citizenship" and "worlds"(as in owning - of course it was actually just renting). Many of these worlds had some clever terrain and objects - fascinating and adventurous, especially considering they were all low poly. The avatars used were able to see in 3 different views and were able to be scripted easily for automatic swimming, falling and best of all - flying. I quickly got into making my own creations for my own worlds - Weyanda and Vibronic and was able to develop flying spaceships capable of looping, banking, spinning and all other sorts of animations. I would have kept my worlds for the type of animated videos I am producing, but they were expensive and to tell the truth, also had limitations. If anybody has ever enjoyed modeling and scripting for such a virtual environment, they would certainly understand the sweet joy of simple object manipulation that included the power to angle and elevate. Many modelers offer modulated objects that fit together for the player to build as they like. World building like this can be very addictive since the final product can be completed so quickly. Flying in a world that is "live" gives the animator a more spontaneous "in the moment" feel that is difficult to duplicate in animation/modeling programs such as Blender (I still trust my old TrueSpace programs). And coupling direct manipulation with characters and objects that were easily scripted for animation added to the ease of staging an effectively produced video segment. I hope there are many other low budget video animators out there who, like me, also have optimistic expectations for advanced object manipulation, first person flight abilities and other basic animation scripting procedures being made available for our artistic endeavors. Having such, we would be able to produce amazing screenshots AND videos that would certainly aid in propelling FPSCR to the forefront of it's competitors and become a much highly sought after tool in many a low budget video maker's arsenal. The question is - am I being too hopeful?

All you need is love....so let me have your burger.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 20:30
I had the idea of something called a composite-entity, which would allow you to graft simpler entity forms together to form more complex entities, which in turn could be scripted for all manner of behaviors from simple static devices to autonomous machines/creatures which could roam the world. Such features are entirely possible with relatively simple additions to the engine. Once the core is in place, I think we should have a lot of fun with a composite-entity feature!

Hogging the awesome since 1999

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 11:10:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 11:10:50