3rd Party Models/Media Chat / 3d Modeling software?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to try my hand at creating 3d models for reload. Can I request insight on which modeling software I should purchase? Suggestions please.

What do the majority of you use?

Thanks for your time.

Operating System: (Windows 8.1 64 bit) Processor: (AMD FX-6200 Six-core - 3.80 GHz) Memory: (10GB) Display AdapterAMD Radeon HD 7570)
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 06:08 Edited at: 1st Dec 2013 06:08
I would go ahead with trying Blender, as its completely free. I have used expensive software in the past, and thought i'd try blender as it is even free for industrial use, and have been surprised by how easy it has been to use.

http://www.blender.org/

You might want look at frag motion, its cheap, not the most ergonomic editor, but it has a lot of gaming file types import/export with it. Other people seem to like it a lot!
PM
Tingalls
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 19:08
You might try TrueSpace 7.61, it is also free like Blender. I use trueSpace because it allows import/export of .x files. Blender does too but you have to get the plugins for that one.

I would try some FREE 3D modeling software before you buy one. They can get expensive.
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone - I'm going with Truespace for now.

Operating System: (Windows 8.1 64 bit) Processor: (AMD FX-6200 Six-core - 3.80 GHz) Memory: (10GB) Display AdapterAMD Radeon HD 7570)
Atlantis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 01:35
I've done some research and this is what I came up with. Delgine looks to be the best, so I'm going to download it and give it a try.

MilkShape 3D v1.8.4 ($25) - http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft

exports "Direct x 8.0"

Wings 3D 1.4.1 (Free) - http://www.wings3d.com/

exports .x

3D Crafter ($69.95) - http://amabilis.com/?page_id=26363

imports/exports .x

~~~

Delgine (Free) - http://www.delgine.com

imports/exports .x (see the features page)

Features

•Game-orientated 3D modeling

•Easy-to-use user interface

•Many 3D modeling functions

•Animation

•Lightmapping

•UV mapping

•Raytracing
PM
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 02:17
For anyone with a little money to spend (maybe not so much a little, I guess it depends on how you look at it) Autodesk released a game asset oriented version of Maya called Maya LT. There are limits to the software compared only to the full version of Maya but it has a complete set of modeling tools, animation controls, UV mapping, everything you would need to make full assets and comes with a commercial license. What it misses is the vast array of exporters Maya had and it has no way to render the scene. It can render the screen in real time so you can see how the shaders will look in the software. But you will need something to convert to direct.x format (I already had a $25 piece that did it) Also poly limit is maxed at 25,000. But for FPSC characters, weapons, furniture, etc it really gets the job done. Plus a ton of books and tutorials from industry professionals already exist (mainly for Maya but the modeling and animating are the same). Compared to Maya and 3D max at $3600, it's a really good deal at $795. I have been nothing but happy with it but it does cost some money so might be good to hone your skills at the cheaper or free ones (and it has a 30 day trial).

One benefit to learning something like this would be that most of the industry is using Autodesk software (Max, Maya, Motion builder, Mudbox, etc) because they fit many studios existing software pipelines and learning it now might give you an advantage in the future if you plan on pursuing a career in the industry.

It really is a user preference and some people like this software better than that one, etc, and there is nothing wrong with Blender at all. But in all the magazines and articles I have read I only found one studio that was using Blender for their assets. For indie developers however many people here have made great things with Blender, Truespace, etc.

Hope I helped and didn't cause any confusion. Sometimes this question can get heated with so many people preferring this software to that but it's important to remember it's up to you in the end.
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 03:23 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2013 03:24
Sounds interesting this Maya LT. If your a Maya fan, which most people are, as its great software, you can easily use Blender as they have the option to change the shortcut keys to a Maya setting.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 11:37
Quote: "I've done some research and this is what I came up with. Delgine looks to be the best, so I'm going to download it and give it a try."

I have been using DeLeD (Delgine) from the start my hut & vilige are made in DeLeD ,very easy to use and free .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 19:40
Blender Definitely! Give yourself about an hour to two ours in the program and you will be building something

soundstudios
Years of Service
User Offline
The new Blender does not have export to x files and I can't find a plug-in for that yet
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The new Blender does not have export to x files and I can't find a plug-in for that yet"

I think it does .... you just have to enable it in the options
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
perelect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2015 09:06
This might be of interest to some.

I have been doing drawing with Autocad from Autodesk for a fair while.

with a free student licence that lasts for 3 years.

it include most of their products like

AutoCAD , Maya, 3DS Max, Revit, etc

I only started with 3DS Max last week and I have been exporting basic static models as direct x with no issues.

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all

enjoy
I may be old, but at least my memory still ....hmmm

Pavilion dv6 Notebook, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz, Win 7 64 bit, 16 GB Ram, Radeon (TM) HD 6490M, 2336 MB Memory. Resolution 1366x768, Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. (WEI 5.8)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 07:21:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 07:21:13