Product Chat / Is it worth it?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 18:14 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 18:16
I'm having a lot of fun with FPSC-R so far. I am more of a modeler than a gamer, but I've been seeking a platform like this to build models and put them to use in some way. I am very happy with how easy it is to import models into my terrain. Although it is a beta version, I think the system looks great and feels stable.

On the other hand, I honestly don't see myself creating games that others would want to play. I don't know much about military strategy. Having Cerebral Palsy, I don't play many video games. The only reason I play at all is I love the artistry involved. I just love wandering around 3d worlds, and I want create - or help create - them.

Right now, I am a bronze pledge. Would it be worth it to upgrade my pledge to silver or gold if I have no intention of making or selling games?
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 18:28
Ultimately The Game Creators want to turn this into a First Person Simulator rather than 'just' a shooter. There could be a time when you can create buildings & architecture that you use as a walkthrough rather than a game, landscape artistry which you could print off and use as a painting, perhaps even a virtual tour of a whole world!

The possibilities are endless.

"I find your lack of grammar disturbing..."

Check out the FPSC Reloaded FAQ!
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 18:47
I think MadLad Designs is answering "yes" to your question.

Powered by Free Banners
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
I concur with MadLad, I believe it could be worthwhile in future. But of course depending your budget. You shouldn't feel limited by not upgrading also though.

The gallery feature on the website now shows, you don't need to just be interested in making computer games to get great use out of this engine.
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 19:52
Quote: "I think MadLad Designs is answering "yes" to your question. "

That obvious huh?

"I find your lack of grammar disturbing..."

Check out the FPSC Reloaded FAQ!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 20:52 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 20:56
Quote: "I just love wandering around 3d worlds, and I want create - or help create - them."

I know exactly what you mean. As others already mentioned, and even in it's current state as an FPS creator, there are many types of games, simulations, walk-throughs, demos, presentations, etc that you can create with it. The only limit is your imagination. There are some who see great value in just using it as a platform to get their models into, so you can't go wrong there. I do a little writing and plan to use Reloaded to make some scenes for my stories.

It sounds like the Bronze level is where you want to be right now. If you get totally wrapped up in this as some of us do, you can always upgrade later.

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 20:52
Quote: "That obvious huh?"

'Fraid so.

Actually, I hope Lee follows through with the First Person Simulator idea - it should make the system more appealing to a wider audience. You could probably do it with the present planned versions but I think it probably needs a few tweaks to be completely acceptable. Mindlessly wandering around with a gun shooting anything that moves certainly appeals when you've had a bad day at the office - but if you're wanting to make a simple adventure game with pretty scenery and puzzles for your sensitive grandchild you might not think of buying a FP Shooter game creation system even if it is just the tool for the job.