Product Chat / Custom Model Problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When importing custom models into my game, the physical location seems to be out of alignment with the textural location. In other words, I can walk through walls of my buildings, and I'm bumping into walls where I don't see any. does anyone know why this is happening?
PM
nelsonaddison
Years of Service
User Offline
Another clue; if I set defaultstatic to dynamic the problem goes away.
PM
nelsonaddison
Years of Service
User Offline
Figured it out.
PM
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 00:32
Can you share what you figured out in case other people run into the same problem?
nelsonaddison
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure. I build my models in Sketchup and export them as .x files. The problem was that I was not moving the axes to the center of the model before exporting them. The strange thing is that FPSR seems to do this for you if you set it to dynamic, but that caused me other problems like houses suspended in mid air or bobbing up and down. I don't know about other modeling programs, but if you're using sketchup with xExporter, be sure to move your axes to the center of the model. I hope that makes sense.

I should also point out that while I have been modeling for about ten years, and I've done some rogue game mods, this is the first time I've tried a package like this. I think the real problem is me not knowing what the heck I'm doing and fumbling around in the dark.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 08:28 Edited at: 19th Nov 2013 08:48
Your axis should be 0,0,0 before export, if the axis is at centre height of the model it may place the entity half way through the floor, or (as you see when dynamic) 'bounce' it over the terrain due to the offset collision envelope. When ported into Reloaded the model pivot aligns with the terrain height, so if it's not at the floor of your model and set at 0,0,0 then you will run into problems.
nelsonaddison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 16:58 Edited at: 19th Nov 2013 17:03
Rolfy, Yes, you're right. When I bring my model into FPSCR it is submerged into the ground and I have to move it up into place. The problem is; I can't find a way to manipulate the model's pivot point in sketchup. And when I don't place my model at the center axes, I get the aforementioned alignment problems. If I set the model so that the axes is at the center of the base plane of the model in SU, then the physical bounds of the model is lower than the textures in fpscr (if you jump onto the model in test, you find yourself inside the model, rather than on top of it). What I'd really like to know is; why are the physical bounds of my objects separating from the textures, irrespective of where the pivot happens to be located?

Again, I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong somewhere. The fix I found works - but it is, by no means, optimal.

Thoughts?
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2013 04:57 Edited at: 20th Nov 2013 05:00
I don't use Sketchup so can't help much there, but according to this video placing the Axis or 'Origin' shouldn't be too much hassle. Centre your object and place the pivot at floor level 0,0,0 and it should work ok.

If your model is lower than the floor in Sketchup at export it will import lower in Reloaded so place it at floor level before placing the pivot. The reason you can jump over the walls is because the engine is calculating the collision envelopes from pivot origin when you first place it into the editor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPqJovjd-sM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 21:38:05
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 21:38:05