Scripts / Would it be possible...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First off, feel free to see this as unorthodox or even just stupid for me asking this. This is in it's own nature a First Person SHOOTER software, but when I looked at how gorgeous the world can be designed I begun thinking of things.

I was wondering if it'd be possible, with the process of script modification, to turn a a FPSC reloaded game into a sort of...First Person Simulator? Clearly I know that the gun aspect would either need to be ignored or just dropped out, and enemies would need to be re-programmed to be friendly or cruel hearted NPCs. I'm mainly asking this for the sole purpose of finding out if the new software will be able to do such a thing?

Or is it built to be strictly just for trigger happy action games? Any replies are appreciated.

-Jake
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
It is the intention that Reloaded will be extended and will able to make a variety of different game types with a variety of characters either enemies or civilian type.

You will be able to just have friendly Characters in your levels if you want that too.

There should nothing stopping you using Reloaded for other purposes such as simply building landscapes, towns, a car showroom and so on, and make the levels internal if no outdoors are needed.

If you don't want the player to have a weapon at all that should be possible too. Eventually Reloaded may have a third person player view so you can see the player also but that may be some time in the future and we don't know when at the moment as there's still much more to do in developing first person view game play and in completing the engine and all the many features yet to add. Its a long term project.

Hope that helps.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2013 19:19
Just so! Right now we want to create a great SHOOTER experience, with all the elements you would expect from the genre. Once we're there, you will suddenly find that removing the weapons, exploding barrels and armed enemies, you end up with a massive world creator capable of pretty much any interactive First Person experience.

I also like the substitution of SHOOTER with SIMULATOR as we can keep the FPS abbreviation and continue the brand unaffected Of course when we eventually add third person, we're going to have a whole new conversation!

Hogging the awesome since 1999
Dragonstar89
Years of Service
User Offline
I know When I thought of First Person Simulator, I thought that I should've still wrote FPS haha

Also, thanks for the answer Uman and Lee. I was really curious to find this out.

-Jake
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 02:27
FPSCR is quickly turning into the software I will use to create my interactive novels (think Dear Esther). For that, I need to NOT necessarily have shooting or bad guys, per se.

Scripting will, of course, be mandatory.

Also, zones are necessary - audio zones, trigger zones, etc. I believe all of those can already be used.

For example, say I want to re-create Dear Esther's ocean scene, I can do all of it as is right now - I would just need the proper ocean shader to make the water look like, well, ocean.

Are advanced shaders planned for FPSCR?

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 03:23
My first intention with Reloaded is actually to make a kind of first person simulation, non-shooter (although the protagonist may at times need to use weaponry), with Oculus support. I think the immersiveness (spell check is saying that's not a word and if it's not I just coined it and I want a nickel every time somebody utters it; or I simply misspelled it.) would make for great problem-solving/mystery kind of game play. I vaguely recall when TGC was approached regarding making a kid-friendly, non-violent version of FPSC some years back for schools. Don't know what ever came of that but thought it was a good idea. I'm anxiously awaiting those features and have a lot of fun studying ahead!
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 12:51
The very first project I did with FPSC was actually not a shooting game at all. Was more of a problem solving type of game completely free of violence. It was used as a part of a thesis project of mine in college. I received a 92% for it! I should really thank TGC for that lol

BarZaTTacKS
Years of Service
User Offline
@TeaBone : You know, that is a really good idea. Since the AI is all wacky and they can shoot through walls maybe building a game around the puzzles and problems is best at the moment. I am still new at game creating so these little tips and tricks are
PM
Landmark
Years of Service
User Offline
Last year I was playing around to build a Training game for my Quality management team. Weapon: A notepad and a Pen attached. AND I figured out hot to make my training simulator to interact with third party applications (Excel, Word...), AND display interactive user interfaces designed with other third party applications as well. I designed interactive interfaces to force the user perform complex calculations, quizes,...) I remember unintentionally named those tricks and software used and someone suggested that I was trying to promote those applications, so I assuming it is now allowed to disclose that here. BUT basically what I plan to do in the next few weeks is to but Reloaded and start my simulator again. Therefore, DragonStar89, FPS Reloaded is a powerful engine now, you can do huge simulators for no gamers (School, Corporate, medical, Science...). I don't know but I don't ind to teach the community how I do that, just I don't know the proper way to do it.

regards, Javier

Landmark
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 02:43:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 02:43:53