Product Chat / [LOCKED] The Game Creator Store

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 04:05 Edited at: 9th Dec 2013 04:07
fpsc is far from done. the engine will still have games release from it until reload is out of beta. which Lee still has a long way to go until he can feel it is finish. so I say continue your projects. fpsc still have some juice left.

as for the store I still want to know what Rick is going to do about the mature assets like blood gore or zombies assets. bond1 horror assets was taken out because of the mature assets.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
The Rev
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 18:00 Edited at: 9th Dec 2013 18:46
I like to say about the model packs in a way they are a good thing. Here is why, say I want a suburban level so I buy say 4 models and then buy a street with a side walk the other 4 model's with a pavement and grass will be different so I have to re skin it. It just happen to me I bought 4 house set from turbosquib 5.00 and 2 free ones and a street with side walk. In The the packs they were all made for that scene, then there is the scaling not all the same.

What really worries me is the animations. before I could use almost any ones model and read there frames and your off. But this new one not so much, they been cryptic and less then up front about it. I have several programs that do animations CharacterFX a free program a model editor from my old a6-7 game studio the files from reload crash the program in a6 or a7. I also have Unwrap3D Pro and unless you import the animation to you model your stuck.

So before trying to sell more stuff and all, lets get the reload finished I rather have seen in beta 1.003 the muti textures work or how to do the animation instead of the button to link me to the store that can all come After reload is finished

Here that Rick V

I don't know if any one agrees with me on that its just my opinion
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 09:47
So I'm curious.. how do we upload models? Or is it not ready yet for uploads. I have a seller account.

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 15:46
Teabone

The store is currently undergoing updates and there is a new seller area coming soon, I believe Rick sent an email out to all the sellers. I believe you can mark your uploads in the classic store as FPSCR ready and they will be approved and appear on the FPSCR version.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2013 00:09 Edited at: 12th Dec 2013 01:07
There is no Reloaded compatibility setting in Classic

I have uploaded a Reloaded compatible skybox. Since there is no upload in Reloaded yet I did this through the FPSC Classic uploader , when I try to change compatibility it tells me I "don't have permission to set compatibility for objects" in both program stores

(you can only change to Reloaded in Reloaded store).

This appears to be the case for all items with any compatibility settings not just adding Reloaded, strange because I can make any other changes...even removing from sale.

So it is impossible for me to set any kind of item compatibility myself after upload. In either version.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2013 10:44
Hi Rolfy, I've emailed Lee about this. Hopefully we can get it all working within a day.

Rick

Financial Director

TGC Team
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2013 17:09
Hi,

OK try now. Seems we had this only set to admins. Artists should now be able to set compatibility flags.

Rick

Financial Director

TGC Team
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, working fine now...thanks
EXTREME D3CIMATE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 05:15
This is the first post i have made sense i backed TGC as a gold member, i don't have to depend on this as a source of income, i have a full time job, this is just for fun an for you to single me out about a post is uncalled for. I didn't direct my comment to anyone, i simple gave my opinion an as a gold member i feel i have that right.

I just started modeling,animating an scripting that i have been only doing for 6 months, i feel i have made good progress an you'll see when my game comes out. How many other people have said about this being a good move that TGC going from 50/50 to 70/30?

I didn't see you dog on anyone else about it so why u singling me out on my fist post? as far as im concerned this is for fun im not looking to make money, im looking to have fun on my free time thats why i got the gold membership. I think that FPS creator has made good progress on reloaded an can't wait to see what they come out with after the store. An im sorry u feel that way about my first post.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2013 11:28
Quote: "The store is currently undergoing updates and there is a new seller area coming soon, I believe Rick sent an email out to all the sellers. I believe you can mark your uploads in the classic store as FPSCR ready and they will be approved and appear on the FPSCR version. "

I've not received an email update regarding the store. Also in FPSC-Classic I don't have a capability option for Reloaded. In reloaded there is no upload button (but I believe this is being worked on?)

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Change the filter in Reloaded to see everything you have uploaded through Classic, then you can change compatibility settings to Reloaded.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 00:17 Edited at: 19th Dec 2013 00:48
Quote: "This is the first post i have made sense i backed TGC as a gold member, i don't have to depend on this as a source of income, i have a full time job, this is just for fun an for you to single me out about a post is uncalled for. I didn't direct my comment to anyone, i simple gave my opinion an as a gold member i feel i have that right.I didn't see you dog on anyone else about it so why u singling me out on my fist post?"

@EXTREME D3CIMATE, only just noticed your post above,I think you are a little confused as to who/what is referred to in previous posts. No one was 'dogging' on you and if you read the quote in said post you will realise that my own comments weren't directed at you

You never said anything I disagree with at all As a new member your posts don't immediately appear so it's likely I haven't even seen them at the time of making my own.

Sorry for the confusion and the off-topic, but felt I should clear things up.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 08:52
Same here, I didn't see his posts either until only today.

Back on point with the store, I still dont have any controller options at all while logged into the store via Reloaded. Do you have to click on a model you've uploaded for the options to appear?

Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 21:49
I realize this is a bit of thread necromancy but I am easing back into the FPSC world. So, forgive me.

Quote: "Still, if we want Reloaded to attract more pro users and artists then it's inevitable that your going to see real price hikes and if some of the artists continue with low prices, such as bond1 and Errant who do real quality work, then pro artists are going to feel they can't compete and may be put off."

I am not at all opposed to see prices raising on media for Reloaded. There's been several mentions in this thread about a magical $20 price point for packs (I know the general vibe is that packs will be de-emphasized but I know that artists tend to create media in batches/collections. So, I think packs/bundles will remain relevant). In my experience with TGC, I've found the low price points to be the defacto recommended amounts but in no way set in stone. My last pack was double the regular price. TGC gave me no resistance over this. I fully intend to be increasing a la carte prices for new individual assets which pass Reloaded muster. I probably won't be altering the prices for old items because A. They are old. and B. Changing prices resets the sales counter.

Looking forward, we have tremendous opportunity with Reloaded as it has been accepted for Steam Greenlight. But be warned... if anyone thinks that the FPSC community has it's toxic elements, it has nothing on the Steam community which can be outright vicious and unforgiving. Tough love here but it's absolutely paramount that TGC starts to become more honest with product versioning. By proper industry standards, Reloaded is still ALPHA (feature incomplete). It is nothing resembling BETA (feature complete with only bugs and optimizations remaining) at this stage. For some, this is a matter of semantics but the cold truth is that details like this will greatly affect how the product is perceived by the greater public. A bad first impression is very difficult to overcome even if great progress is made after launch.

In NO WAY should any of what I have just said be construed as negative. Like I said, it's all just tough love.

We all have much to gain by simply being honest with ourselves. And that comes back to another point brought up earlier in this thread: Pricing tiers. I really hope that top artists will not continue to undercut each other in the Reloaded era. If your media is top notch and professional quality, there should be no shame or obligation to price match lower grade media. This can be as simple as deliberate price collusion among artists. This Reloaded board isn't even found on the old forums... And as callous as it may seem to say so, with that tie severed, so should the obligations of ridiculously cheap media as a form of community service also be severed. If done right, Reloaded will attract a NEW user-base which we, as artists, won't owe any favors to. Does that mean that prices need to skyrocket? Not at all. It just means that we need to begin to respect ourselves and what we bring to the table.

How can the asset store of the Reloaded era be a smashing success? Well, I have a few thoughts on this (in no particular order) that I believe will both increase sales and attract quality media authors...

1. Companion website version of the store.

TGC were once upon a time working on a web version of the store. It had fantastic potential as an alternate way to browse assets. It also allowed someone to direct/hotlink straight to an asset's information page. That simple feature is HUGE when it comes to directing interested parties directly to your media which may otherwise be buried under thousands of other things. Users must be able to browse assets outside of Reloaded. Ideally the store browser should work perfectly from mobile devices. A great time to generate sales is when the developer is at their day job or away from their development PC. It's a win-win because it allows sellers to capitalize on what I call "the development daydreaming cycle" and it allows developers to have assets que'd up and ready to go when they sit down to start working. This suggestion also reflects the fact that artists have been and will continue to be the most effective promoters of their own media. This will be especially true as we end an era of "official" media. Give us the tools to guide our customers to our assets in an efficient and direct manner so that we do not need to rely on TGC promoting our work in order to get sales.

2. Advanced seller/artist control over asset pricing and bundling.

I am thrilled that Rick has mentioned artist-specified bundling. Let's take this a step further and allow artists to do things such as setting promotional pricing (discounts that automatically expire at a specified time) for assets. Being able to manipulate prices in this manner will greatly help artists to find the sweetspots in price-points for their media and maximize sales. There could even be support of coupon codes for authors promoting their work via external sources such as blogs or facebook.

3. Require buyers to click a checkbox stating they have read the asset EULA when confirming a purchase.

This may seem tedious and most will not read it but it serves as a layer of protection. Likewise assure that artists do the same when uploading assets.

4. Artist/Author hotlinking in item descriptions.

When a buyer randomly finds themselves on the item description for an asset, they should be able to click the author's name and have the store take them to see what else that author has available for sale.

5. Author "following".

Customers should be able to follow/unfollow authors that they like. On the store main page, there should be a section highlighting new releases from followed authors. Perhaps, authors could even post announcements periodically that would be displayed in a sort of newsfeed. Again, this goes back to the idea of authors being the best promoters of their own work.

In short... TGC, if you are listening, help us to help you.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2014 22:21 Edited at: 9th Jan 2014 22:24
I think Rick actually once said they were planning to continue with the web version of the store. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Game Creators Store (beta):

http://tgcstore.net/browser/

If this does indeed become improved upon I could see sales doing very well. Simply because some of our content would then be spidered on Google and other search platforms. It would help promote the store and the assets a great deal. Also people would be able to make purchases while not at a computer that is logged into the Reloaded exe

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2014 01:29 Edited at: 10th Jan 2014 01:42
Quote: "In my experience with TGC, I've found the low price points to be the defacto recommended amounts but in no way set in stone. My last pack was double the regular price. TGC gave me no resistance over this"
It's as much a psychological barrier as anything else, it's always been a price point most Artists would try to work within. TGC are unlikely to argue the point with an established Artist who promotes their work as development progresses. With step by step posts on the forum, it can be seen how much time and effort has gone into it. There is a big difference between textures created from scratch with multiple layers used to get exactly the look you want, and one grabbed from CGTextures and simply thrown on the model. Same goes for shader maps such as Normal which has been created from a high poly sculpted version or the one which is the Diffuse simply ran over with an NVidea filter. Not even going to go into animations or scripting here, but only to point out differences even in innovative ideas which separate the basic from the original.

All those things unnoticed by purchasers of a finished product.

Quality and time taken will vary wildly from Artist to Artist, and mostly it's the trained who will have some kind of yardstick to measure this. The difference between work from a Pro and that of a Hobbyist can be fairly subtle when viewed on a website image but immediately apparent when viewed first hand in the engine,in much the same way as looking at a print of an oil painting and the real thing.

Even then some wouldn't know what they are looking for and at the end of the day unless it's a commercial project by a 'serious' developer then its not going to make a lot of difference to those who simply have an idea they want to get out there and share with friends. Reloaded is in the position of trying to to appeal to both, but all the same it's aimed primarily at users who don't have the skills, money or time and want ease of use at the lowest cost possible.

TGC have it cut out for them with this balancing act of deciding whether to approve media for the store or not and the pricing of media. I think I already said the Artists should price their media as they want and consumers will vote with their wallet. Of course there would still be a 'quality bar' to meet but without more time put into it than previously, it's going to be difficult to 'filter' media that is approved.

Quote: "Looking forward, we have tremendous opportunity with Reloaded as it has been accepted for Steam Greenlight. But be warned... if anyone thinks that the FPSC community has it's toxic elements, it has nothing on the Steam community which can be outright vicious and unforgiving."
I know your talking about the product itself here and also know exactly where your coming from, the target market just expanded to include the less forgiving and it's thin ice to be walking on, hopefully it will give TGC the incentive to produce something that meets up to the challenge.

As for yourself it's good to see you around again
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2014 19:17
Quote: "I think Rick actually once said they were planning to continue with the web version of the store. Correct me if I'm wrong."

You are correct I am on the team developing the new store system, more will be released when we are ready

It won't be visible at the link you have given though so you will just have to wait
PM
NL2012
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 11:05 Edited at: 14th Jan 2014 08:55
70/30 is more then fair ...thanks. There are shops where i get way less provision.

HP Z820 Workstation, 2 X 8 Intel Xeon E5-2665 processor

64GB DDR3-1333, nvidia geforce gtx 660
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 09:31
Hi,

The new Reloaded Game Creator Store is almost ready for release. We're now reaching out to artists who have content that is "Reloaded ready" for publishing. If you have such content and would like to publish it and be one of first on this new store then please contact me by email here; rick@thegamecreators.com

Rick

Financial Director

TGC Team
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 09:50
Excellent news, hopefully I can get sometime to finish off a couple of my models.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2014 08:06
When does The Game Creator Store go public?

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2014 19:48
It goes live with the next beta. That will be when the pledge model packs are due to be downloadable from the store. It is almost complete we are doing final bug checking now.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2014 06:04
Oh very cool! Thanks for a the work

pianodavy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2014 02:45
Are there instructions included for the new store vendors?

All you need is love....so let me have your burger.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2014 20:56
The new Game Creator Store is live and ready to go in the new beta 1.006 Not much in there right now, and resembles more a gardening catalog but we have engineered it from the ground up to make all our lives easier, artists, users and the core team will find it a breath of fresh air (once we iron out the last of the niggles).

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 13:25:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 13:25:38