Product Chat / Will FPSCR's peformance really be able to get a whole lot better?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 05:27
I don't know... I'm losing faith. With all the features that still need to be improved or added. I guess time will tell...

You want a sig? this is your sig!
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 06:48
have you downloaded the new BETA?

http://t-boneproductions.blogspot.ca/
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 10:51
Keep the faith! We're in this for the long haul! Lots more ideas to come on optimisations.

Financial Director

TGC Team
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 11:43
My computer specs are:

GTX 660

i7 3770 Intel CPU x4 3.40ghz

8GB DDR3 RAM

650 Watt PSU

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I have absolutely no performance issues at all, if that helps.
PM
unbound
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 12:40
Yes I have latest BETA (1.002).

Specs:

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Processor: Intel Core I7 @ 2.40GHz (4 of them)

RAM: 8GB

I don't have many performance issues yet, unless I turn the setting to full, add grass and enemies. The problem is, what would the performance be like in a complete game, and what will it be like when lee adds all the features to the engine?

I don't want FPSCR to suffer the same fate that FPSC X10 and FPSC did. FPSC cant run with very much AI in the scene and X10 had generally bad performance. Is this what will happen with FPSCR?

You want a sig? this is your sig!
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 16:31 Edited at: 10th Nov 2013 16:33
Patience.

I think this covers it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

Powered by Free Banners
lololodasodasd
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait i dont have version (1.002)

I only have 311013 and 081113
PM
lololodasodasd
Years of Service
User Offline
Nvm 081113 is 1.002

Derp
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 23:52
I'm pretty stubborn on the fact that I don't want to move off performance work until we're all generally happy with it. Your voice rings true on where we are right now, and we need more engine speed before we can move into new areas. At some point we will draw the line at certain cards, but a decent gaming card should run a decent sized level, so this is what we are aiming for, and remains our top priority!

Hogging the awesome since 1999
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 04:15
We're still so incredibly early in the BETA stages I feel pretty confident about the final outcome. I wouldn't have pledged (and on kickstarer) if I didn't already have my trust in The Game Creators team. I've been exceedingly thankful that the development of x9 continued as long as it had with updates.

I'm hoping though, that the target machines are the types of computers that come with standard cards that gamers would have already. Since it may be fair to ask us the developers to upgrade but not entirely fair to ask your game-players to do the same. In most cases they would have an expectation that the games will just work with their newly bought PC. I'd love for FPSC to get to the point where it would simply just work 100% on a standard "this generation" pre-built computer.

http://t-boneproductions.blogspot.ca/
unbound
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 07:01
Lee and Teabone both share what I think the final version should be, running a decent sized level on a decent gaming computer with some AI. It is definitely possible, maybe even likely, although I think i'll wait for time too pass before I judge.

There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 11:15
The original FPSC is nine years old and is STILL being tweaked! I think it's safe to say FPSC Reloaded will get better.

"I find your lack of grammar disturbing..."
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 15:20
Quote: "The original FPSC is nine years old and is STILL being tweaked!"

I'm not sure that's a positive thing. I'm glad they (others actually) are still trying to fix the problems but FPSC should have been running well out-of-the-box. Here it is, nine years later, and FPSC still has problems running a good sized level on today's machines. I can certainly understand peoples fears here, especially since FPSC:R is built on the same core.

We'll have to wait and see where that magic line is drawn, and how many will need to upgrade when the dust settles. If we ultimately have control over the most hungry features, and it appears that we are moving in that direction, we should be able to control our target market more effectively and produce something for the masses, as opposed to the elite.

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The original FPSC is nine years old and is STILL being tweaked!"

Quote: "I'm not sure that's a positive thing"

Well, if you look at it negatively in the fact it took 9 years to get it up to scratch (Well sort of).

Of course FPS Creator was never meant to create professional games. Nine years ago also, things were a bit different, and new shader effects and such have come along. FPSC has just been chasing new technology, that is all. Fair enough, the AI was horrible in the main. FPSC has it's flaws and is really only for hobbyists.

However FPS Reloaded is a new version, built from the base up to take advantage of all current techniques (well, some of em I imagine, there are plenty more to add!) Fair enough, it will never compete with todays top engines. TGC is only a small team. It will however I imagine get a lot faster over the coming months and will be all most people wanted! Albeit, not quite what some have dreamed But hey, things are better now for making games without the need to write pesky code than they have ever been! I have fairly high hopes after reading the latest blogs!

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2013 04:10
Quote: "However FPS Reloaded is a new version, built from the base up to take advantage of all current techniques"

If by new version you mean built on DBPro and by current techniques you mean DX9 then I guess you're right.

The OP's fears are based on the fact that with just terrain and a few entities in the editor, some people with decent systems (where other recent games are concerned) are seeing very low performance. We all hope for improvement.

Brian.

If my post seems rude or stupid, don't be offended. It's just a failed attempt at humor.
PM
insomi
Years of Service
User Offline
I have this specs and I have really bad performance with the latest beta:

ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

3,2 GHz Intel Core i3

I use bootcamp on mac to run windows.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 05:40:32