Product Chat / a word of warning when you uninstall/install the betas

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 01:48
The uninstaller is aggressive and removes all the folders in the target folder. So if you placed some useful stuff of your own in there that will disappear when you uninstall.

Also, beta2 doesn't create a folder of its own (I'm not now sure what beta1 did) so if you do what I've just done and install it to your usual TGC folder then you'll need to be very careful when you uninstall. If I hadn't been paying attention I'd have lost all my DBPro, Dark Shader, FPSC folders, etc, when I tried to rectify the situation. All is OK now though.

Apart from that I'm getting a useful fps increase, simpler terrain construction and, of course, sound!!

So a good week's work overall.

Powered by Free Banners
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually just installed the new beta, without bothering to uninstall the first one. I'm not sure if that is what is causing my issues, I will perhaps start over. The objects that used to work are now white, performance is worse (although it looks a better fps, it actually moves way worse now), some objects that worked fine now sometimes don't even display when you try to add them to a scene.

I was hoping to do a new video showing the new speed increase, perhaps some other stuff, but not if it is running like this! The minecraft scene I did still works though, so the minecraft blocks I made still work.

I also noticed the odd glitch in the terrain floor. I'll be uninstalling it all and starting over, but I have my doubts as to if this will work

Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2013 15:51
Quote: "I actually just installed the new beta, without bothering to uninstall the first one. I'm not sure if that is what is causing my issues, I will perhaps start over. The objects that used to work are now white,"

That's more or less what happened to me. I then saw RickV's advice and decided to uninstall it all. If you do that make sure you move any files you want to keep out of the way first.

Actually, the white rendering is worse for me now that I've done a clean install.

I've also found some inexplicable inconsistencies between old model packs. On some the textures show but not on others - even when the fpe files are made to match, etc. For example, the Arteria OutDoor Pack rocks work fine whereas the Middle East Pack buildings don't. At the moment I can't see any essential difference other than the objects and textures themselves. Everything else, image name conventions, image formats, fpe files, etc, seem to be identical (after careful editing of course ). I'm obviously missing something vital but can't see it.

I know the old packs aren't officially supported yet but I wouldn't expect apparently random behaviour. Very puzzling.