Product Chat / Fisheye Effect (Solution?)

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
quoted from Lee's blog:

From Lee

Quote: "I have been getting letters! Apparently the render on Reloaded looks a little 'fisheye'. I keep stating that it's just the product of FOV and ASPECT, and entirely the result of a simple left handed perspective projection, but no-one quite believes me. If anyone is getting 'fisheye', turn your FOV down to 60 and then let me know if you still suffer from it. "

Lee is correct. If I turn aspect up to 100 and FOV down to around 60 all fisheye effects dissapear. Hopefully others can find the sweet spot in their FOV/Aspect settings. We may need adjustable player movement speed though, as lower FOVs tend to look like you're moving slower than high FOV.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 06:41
I've been mentioning this for a while but still people were complaining. Ironically enough I was one of the first to complain about the issue before even getting my hands on Reloaded lol

For horror games its great to have your field of view more narrow. For all out action wide-scale battles and exploration its better to widen it.

http://t-boneproductions.blogspot.ca/
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a thought on FOV. I've been doing some research, and it turns out the the human eye sees things are approx 60 degrees, I've found setting the Reloaded FOV to 61-63 seems to solve most of the odd views, although I suspect that AAA games may be altering the camera angle to adjust to the view. If you think about it, when you tilt your head or look up your brain adjusts the image to keep it straight.

SC

Bringing you games since 1981!
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 11:11 Edited at: 6th Nov 2013 11:23
Quote: "your brain adjusts the image to keep it straight"

Yes, that's the bit that's hard to build into your program.

Edit I'm not sure we're discussing a real issue here. If you stand in front of a tall building and look up then you should see the edges of the walls narrowing according to the usual rules of perspective. Even the brain wouldn't make those look parallel. I guess it's mainly a matter of degree ().